Wednesday, March 20, 2013

What I Made Wednesday {Lucky Family Penny Sculpture}

I just loved doing this penny project with Kiddo. It's easy, really hefty-feeling, and so personal and pretty. I went with our last name's initial of "S" and our family's favorite number, 3 (since it's just the three of us). This little project helps to remind us how truly lucky we are to have the life we're living, together!

What You'll Need
Large Letter and Number from the local craft store (mine are from Hobby Lobby and the "S" is 13.5 inches)

Hot glue gun and sticks

Lots of pennies

Paintbrush

Metallic Paint in Antique Copper

Metal Charms (optional)

Strong glue like Liquid Nails

Picture hanger (optional)

Before getting started, remove the stickers from your letter!

 What You'll Do
Begin painting. Great job to give to the kids!

Make sure they paint all around the edges, too.
 
 If you decide to add embellishments to your letter or number, you'll find these charms in the scrapbook aisle. I was unsuccessful when I looked down the jewelry aisle, so scrapbook embellishments are worth a looksie! The ones I purchased had the eyelet and that was not going to work. I took metal cutters and cut off the eyelet, then scraped the cut down to a smooth finish (that's the overachiever in me).

 
Once the paint has dried on your letter and number, it's time to begin gluing away. Hot glue each penny onto your letter and number. You'll notice quickly that the coins don't fit perfectly together so you'll have some gaps. No worries. You'll fill these in later when you sporadically layer over the gaps with more pennies.

 I added the embellishments to the number and left them in their natural metal color. I was contemplating painting them copper, too, but Kiddo decided he liked the contrast. You know, I think he's right. Good decision, Kiddo!

Place the number over your letter in the position you want it. Then flip the whole thing over, trying not to lose the position.



Once flipped and you have readjusted to the right position, take a pencil to mark your number. This will help you in knowing where you'll apply your glue.
You want to use a really strong glue. Pennies can get quite heavy.

Mark the area where you'll be applying the glue. Allow the glue to set before continuing on.
What You'll Need to Know to Finish
 Once your two pieces are solidly one, it's time to fill in those gaps. 

Next, you'll start to overlap some of the larger gaps with more pennies. Don't go hog-wild with another layer. Just be sporadic about it.


I glued pennies on the side of my number but I had to leave some gaps because pennies just don't bend around corners the way you wished they would.
Some gaps you just can't help!
When placing your picture hanger, be sure to find the center of your structure. My "3" is off-center and skews the "normal-center" of the "S". The pennies make this a very heavy project and you must compensate for any imbalances of numbers hanging off sides, etc.

I used the mega-glue E6000 to adhere the picture hanger to the back. Nails won't work. Be sure to wait 24-hours for the glue to set before hanging.
 Well, there you have it. The best of luck to my family AND to yours!!!!
 

8 comments:

Betty Sneeringer said...

A nice family project and nicely done!

I am LOVD said...

Thanks, Betty!

Suzan Wood-Young said...

They stopped making pennies in Canada on February 4th and the banks stopped giving them out. This is a great idea for Canadians who don't want to turn theirs in!

I am LOVD said...

Great idea, Suzan. Hey, I can send you a few. The bank gave me a few Canadians in the rolls they handed me. Can you believe it?

I am LOVD said...

FYI, this project used pennies totaling $3.82. What a bargain!

JoAnn SweetPepperRose said...

Very fun and easy project!

Rose :: Fine Craft Guild said...

Truly original!! Thank you for sharing this at the 'Time for a party'-linky, at the Fine Craft Guild.

Adorned From Above said...

This is great. Thanks so much for sharing with Wednesday's Adorned From Above Blog Hop. Have a great week.
Debi, Charly, Marci, and Suzan
http://www.adornedfromabove.com

 

Back to TOP

Boutique Blog Design