Wednesday, April 18, 2012

What I Made Wednesday {Milemarker 40}

This is the year of the big 4-Ohh for me; today, in fact! I'm not hung up on age but when you start your day in a brand new decade, I think it's an opportunity to reflect, take stock, and figure out where you are headed and how you think you want to get there.


I'm a lover of lists, a technician of To-Do's, and I take great pleasure in crossing off each line of tasks, putting the chore to the proverbial bed. No great surprise that I'd want to mark today's 4th-decade birthday by recording a few reflective thoughts on how I would like the year to go (I know, God's laughing right now). And to display these plans of grandeur, I thought today's What I Made Wednesday would be a good display of my list. As the year progresses, I'll be sure to cross off the tasks and, by the time I turn 41, I should have a set of Mod Podged numbers all scratched out with successes and great experiences.

What You'll Need
Cardboard numbers (found at Hobby Lobby)
Scrapbook paper
Mod Podge
Paintbrush
Scissors
Pencil
Sharpie Paint Pen
Super Glue like E-6000 (not shown)
Your own list (no, you can't use mine)




What You'll Do
First things, first: Take your scrapbook paper and lay it on top of your number. Then, flip it over and trace the number with a sharp pencil.
Cut along the outline.
Repeat the outlining and cutting for each number and for both sides.
Apply Mod Podge to the flat surfaces of the numbers and press down the cut-out scrapbook paper.





Oh, bother! Now you've got the sides to contend with - easy!
Take your scrapbook paper and align it with the side of the number. Make a mark the width of the side.

Cut the strip with scissors or a paper cutter. Glue the strip along the side of the number. This will take a couple of strips to get all the way around. Don't forget the inside of the number, as well!

Advice: When gluing the strips on the sides, try to make it so the ends of the strips do not stop on any corners of the number but rather in the middle of a side. See above, that's one strip and I made sure the end didn't land on a corner.


Now it's time to take your heavy duty glue and glue the two numbers together. Note: I tried to get any paper breaks on the side where I knew it wouldn't be visible since the numbers were going to be glued together. Take a look: my one strip of paper fell short but it's on the side where it won't be seen once the numbers are glued together. Keep that in mind.





It's too pretty to write on, but that's the whole point, isn't it?

What You'll Need to Know to Finish
These Sharpie Paint Pens have been really great to use and versatile in so many projects I've completed lately. I've created my list of dreams and goals for the year and I just started writing them all over the finished 4-0 sculpture (sure, why not call it a sculpture?).

When dry, take another swipe all over the sculpture with Mod Podge to seal your writing.

I'll keep it as a daily reminder in either my office or bedroom to make this year one of sowing for the future. At 40, I'm finally wise enough to know the life I want to live, and I'm finally old enough to make all of it a reality.

Want to get me a birthday present? Ahh, how thoughtful of you! Just become a GFC Follower, a Linky Follower, or both, or 'Like" LOVD on Facebook, and I'd be happier than an old goat in sunglasses.

And don't forget the giveaway I have for you. Click here to enter. 

Want an update on how I'm doing? Click here! 

21 comments:

Suzan Wood-Young said...

Happy Birthday Lilly! You've inspired me to make a list for my big 5-0. May your next decade be filled with many happy adventures!

I am LOVD said...

Go for it, Suzan! I want to know what you put on that list - ok? Oh, I forgot to add one important thing to my numbers, off to do that right now. What is it? "Open the Etsy shop"

momto8 said...

Happy birthday!!! life begins at 40!!

Alesha said...

Happy birthday! I hope you have a super blessed day and year! =)
Alesha<3

Chrissy said...

Happy Birthday! I hope that you have a wonderful day!

Brunella said...

From your Italy happy Birthday Lily!!!! every wish of your heart is real now :)
I'm grateful for your presence in my life.

I am LOVD said...

Thank you to all my well-wishers! xxoo

Melissa @ Loving this {crazy} life! said...

Love the look of these! Thanks for sharing!

Pam said...

Happy Birthday Lilly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wishing you all good things! Have fun celebrating!!

How to Nest for Less said...

Happy birthday!! This is such a great idea. LOVE it!

Object of Maya*ffection said...

Happy Birthday! What a FUN FAB project! Would also make a great memory sign in if your were having a milestone party.

Melissa @ Loving this {crazy} life! said...

Thanks for linking up! Can't wait to try it out!

Caitlin said...

Love this idea! I think I may do something similar for my friends birthday next month!

I am LOVD said...

All of you are coming up with some great alternative gift ideas for others - love it!!! Thanks for sharing.

Madison said...

What an ingenious idea! My 40th is next year and I've bookmarked this post for next year.

Thank you for the idea...Madison xxx

Lindsey said...

Hi! I'm your newest follower and co-host of this month's blog hop. Thanks so much for joining in on the fun :) I'm looking forward to getting you know you better!

This is a genius idea! I'll have to do this for my next birthday.

Maria said...

I love this idea!!!! What a great thing to do for a birthday!

cathy@my1929charmer said...

Happy Birthday! What a cute idea. Love to know what ends up on your list. Thanks for sharing your creative inspiration at Sunday's Best!

Rose :: Fine Craft Guild .com said...

happy birthday. now a whole new world is going OPEN for you. you'll see. love being 40!!!

Bonnie and Trish @ Uncommon Designs said...

This looks great! I just love the texture and the thought behind it! Thanks for sharing!

Take care,

Trish

Anonymous said...

Love this idea. Going to make one for my 50th birthday party next week. Thanks for posting such fantastic instructions karen kromm

 

Back to TOP

Boutique Blog Design