Thursday, June 27, 2013

When Fiction Means Trouble

Caution: Reading fiction may cause you to lose yourself.

Disappointed by my proclamation of not being a lover of fiction, my bloggy buddy, Michele, encouraged me to give The Dog Stars by Peter Heller a try. I respect Michele and I love reading her blog. She's always in search of good books at the library and I hunted down her recommendation at my own borrowing institution.

I started reading. Then, I read some more. Then I sat down to read some more and was surprised to find Super Hubby home from work and I hadn't even thawed anything for dinner. I read some more and found Kiddo was going to be late to his baseball game (only happened once so give me a break). I then realized why I'm not a lover of fiction. It's that I can't be. Good books seem to take over my life. I want to turn the page and find out more. I want to see where the story is going, how it will play out, how it will end. This brief escape encapsulates my attention sometimes and I don't get a lot done, unfortunately.

The close calls were worth it, though. The book was gripping. There was even one section of the book that may have been along the lines of 50 Shades of Grey (not that I've ever read that one, but I don't live in a hole, either). Yes, that chapter was attention grabbing to say the least.

My most favorite part of the book was a couple of lines at the beginning and I absolutely love the words so I wanted them captured here on my blog. I don't want to forget how important and meaningful these words can be.

"I thought Maybe there is a different translation for meek. Maybe it's not the meek who inherit, maybe it is the simple. Not will inherit, the earth, they already own it." - Peter Heller, The Dog Stars
Oh, how true that is. OK, Michele, I'm ready for another recommendation! I'll keep visiting and see what you got!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are the sweetest! I just read "Where'd You Go, Bernadette?" and loved it for summer. If you haven't read "Still Alice" by Lisa Genova, I highly recommend this book about early on-set Alzheimer's. And knowing you're a non-fiction fan, my favorite is the story about Dr. Paul Farmer, Mountains Beyond Mountains.

I want to hear some of your non-fiction recommendations.

xoxomichele

 

Back to TOP

Boutique Blog Design