Friday, April 5, 2013

Goodbye Week. Hello Weekend. Lessons Learned: Take 89.

A week in photo format.
Goodbye shopping all those great after-Easter sales to fill Kiddo's Easter basket for May 5th.
Goodbye organizing a Potluck feast for Kiddo's classmates and being thankful for responsive parents.
Goodbye declaring this beef stew recipe as a new family fave: just add some crusty bread and a salad and you've got a stick-to-your-ribs meal.
Goodbye film critic Roger Ebert, a man who found a way to make money watching movies and giving us his opinion - what a gig.
Goodbye eye doctor appointment for Kiddo and having dilated eyes all evening long, poor guy.


Hello great news that Kiddo won the First Place Prize in the International video contest he entered - click here to view his winning submission (it's the one from Ohio).
Hello warmer temperatures and feeling like Spring has sprung (dare I say, I think it's here to stay).
Hello heart filling with mom-pride as my son decided to donate his winnings to the school.
Hello evaluating college acceptances for my clients and helping them make the BIG decision (did I mention I hate wait-lists).
Hello refusing to pay $6 ever again for a freshly baked loaf of bread because I think I can teach myself how to bake my own bread (did I mention active yeast scares me?).

My Lesson Learned this week is how I may very well have the ability to see into the future. OK, not really, but sometimes I hate when I'm right! Coming back from Spring Break, Kiddo had an exciting first week back at school: the conclusion of the Leadership curriculum. The students are divided into 4 service groups: Arts & Education, Hunger and Homelessness, Environmental, and Animal Advocacy. Kiddo is a member of the Animal Advocacy team and, boy, were they busy this week. On Tuesday, the group went to a Nature Reservation and cleaned up garbage on the grounds. It was Wednesday when my glances of the future became a reality.


Meet Grover.

 Wednesday they paid a visit to the Rescue Village, a local animal shelter. I had a funny feeling Kiddo would fall in love with a dog and we'd have to hold off pleas of adoption at bay when he arrived back home. Well, I was almost right - it wasn't a dog, it was a cat. A cat named Grover has stolen my Kiddo's heart. It's all he has talked about all week. Kiddo searched the web to do research so he could have answers for all our reasons excuses as to why we should not have a cat, or any animals for that matter. We had fish, but that didn't end too well for the fish. Kiddo has made some great arguments and he almost has me convinced. But then, reality sets in and I think about all the hard work, all the cat hair, and the smell. I'm not sure I could handle it. Can you convince me, otherwise?

Continuing the week, Kiddo spent the entire day on Thursday at the zoo, informing people of the palm oil crisis. Not familiar? Click here to get in the know. Before Kiddo left the car to get into school that morning I tried to beat the odds and told him, "Don't even think about adopting an elephant."

Am I being selfish? Would it be good for Kiddo? Should we adopt Grover? Will my furniture and carpet get destroyed?

5 comments:

Lefty said...

I'll give you this argument as I am NOT a cat person:
1: They climb on your countertops, where you COOK and PREP your food.
2: They walk around in their own bathroom, then walk over your house (gross!)
3: IF its an outdoor cat, it comes to OUR deck and poops on OUR furniture and STAINS it!

I think its great that you are thinking of rescuing an animal though! :) Every kid should have a pet!

Suzan Wood-Young said...

1. They only climb on your countertops if you let them (and when you're not around). My cats eat on one countertop because the dogs would eat their food on the floor and they stay away from the rest of the kitchen counters (unless you leave the butter out.)
2. True. Can't argue with the truth.
3. That cat poops on your furniture because it knows you hate cats. They have a sixth sense about that.

Lilly, it really comes down to do YOU want a cat. Because it will be with YOU in the daytime, which is a good portion of it's life. If you really don't want a cat you will grow to resent it. That being said, they do sleep a lot during the day and they can be nice cuddly company. If you get one I recommend you keep it indoors because when you let it out it WILL poop in you and your neighbour's gardens, possibly kill birds and could get hit by a car or eaten by a coyote (at least in our neighbourhood). And it's so frigging annoying to let them in and out constantly. (Not my choice our cats are outdoor cats).

I am LOVD said...

Ladies, thanks so much for your comments. Even though this cat hasn't been declawed, he'd remain an indoor cat. Good point about the walking all over the litter box, then on my floors. Never thought about that, actually.

Yes, every kid should have a pet, but I don't want it to end up being my pet (like I said, not entirely an animal person). I like the idea of pets, just not the work that goes into them. Kiddo still keeps bringing it up and so many awesome things are happening to Kiddo right now that you almost want to reward him for all the good he's doing. But, I can't be that fleeting with emotion - an icecream cone serves the same purpose.

I think I'll call the shelter and see if Kiddo can visit Grover some weekends. That way, I can see the cat myself. Maybe he really is as low-key as Kiddo and the Shelter describe him to be. We'll see. I'll keep you up to date and thanks for all the advice!

Suzan Wood-Young said...

Who said every kid should have a pet?

Blogger said...

Get daily suggestions and methods for generating THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS per day FROM HOME totally FREE.
JOIN TODAY

 

Back to TOP

Boutique Blog Design