Thursday, April 18, 2013

In My 40's

No milestone today. No, not today. I am officially "in" my 40's. I welcome it. Onward and upward. At least I'm nearer the base of the hill and not over it. I had high expectations a year ago. I wrote down my hopes and resolutions and now it's time to reflect on what a year has brought. I can see there are some things to work on, some things to add, some things to continue and somethings to ignore. Here's to another year!

Of the wishes I wrote down, the one that would have fallen to the wayside after about a week if I had anything to do with it was the "Fresh Flowers Every Week" promise. Super Hubby picked up my slack after that first week after my birthday and each and every week for one whole year I was greeted with fresh flowers (EVERY WEEK!). Honestly Super Hubby, you ARE the best! I'm pretty sure that's the only promise kept on those numbers and I had nothing to do with it. What's that say about me? I don't even want to think about it.

Date Nights were few, workouts were non-existent. I didn't take a photography class but I did get a new camera (thanks, again, Super Hubby). I've decided I'm really not that adventurous when it comes to dining and I've got the "frugal gene" that prevents me from paying those prices at Anthropologie, Chico's, Talbot's and Coldwater Creek. The "More Family Time" wish would have been counter intuitive had I attended a blog conference ( I chose the family). The Etsy Shop is still planned (one day), the book is in progress, along with eating better and drinking water.

My bouquet finale from Super Hubby!

Did I succeed at anything on my own? Well, yes, I think I did. Along with achieving more family time, I upgraded my makeup drawer to include eye liner and mascara. I visited with friends more, I smiled more, and, without a doubt, I always gave God all the glory because without Him, I would be nothing. We enjoyed unusual hiking trails (thanks, again, to Super Hubby's love of discovery).

Looking back, not much to rave about. Most of the things I accomplished, I accomplished because of Super Hubby. I like that, though. It's proof that I'm a better person because we're together. We make a terrific team: peas and carrots, peanut butter and jelly, Peeps and jellybeans. But, I think my year as a 40-year old hit new highs not on the list; ones that, at the time I could not have even imagined. Who knew my business would be in full force this past year? Who knew Kiddo would have a remarkable 5th-grade year? Who knew my blog readership would more than double from a year ago? Who knew? So, this year, I'm not writing anything down, I'm just remaining open to what's instore and enjoying the ride, come what may. But do the weekly flowers have to stop, Super Hubby? 

3 comments:

Suzan Wood-Young said...

I think we (...women in particular) often get a little over zealous with plans and intentions - the best of intentions - and I don't want to hear any comments about the road to hell and all that, there's also "It's the thought that counts". ;) And I'm not telling you anything you don't already know or didn't say, but I just wanted to lend my support and say, good on ya! You have much to be proud of. And I agree, super hubby should continue the weekly flowers! :)

I am LOVD said...

So true, Suzan! I don't get hung up on age, but I'm not sure how I'll be feeling about it come 50. It's more the increase in aches and pains that I'm noticing. But, that's because I'm out of shape. Need to add exercise back on the docket!!!

Suzan Wood-Young said...

My experience is that 50 is pretty awesome, especially once you're kids are grown and your responsibilities lessen. I certainly have more aches and pains but I feel blessed in so many other ways. I still struggle with personal growth but I've discovered with age comes a recognition of small goals achieved which leads to realization of larger goals, along with acceptance of imperfection. Maybe not every day, but I'm gettin' there!

 

Back to TOP

Boutique Blog Design