Friday, February 17, 2012

Goodbye Week. Hello Weekend. Lessons Learned: Take 34.

Photobucket

This ice sculpture was outside of CPK - beautiful!
Goodbye 1-year bloggy anniversary celebration at Crafty, Scrappy, Happy.

Goodbye co-hosting the Linky Party and thank you, Jaime, for such a fun opportunity. Have you seen it? Click here to party!

Goodbye sweet Valentine's Day that produced next week's What I Made Wednesday so stay tuned - YUM!

Goodbye news that Super Hubby needs some expensive dental work that will take a huge bite out of our pocketbook, but knowing this too shall pass.

Goodbye good deeds at a local California Pizza Kitchen as we participated in a funds drive to help the American Cancer Society.





Hello taking another shot at seeing Star Wars Phantom Menace in 3D.
Hello lots of school friends over for hot dogs, play, and gaming.
Hello long weekend and recovering from colds and sniffles and congestion.
Hello thwarted sledding plans as the hill turned from snow white to green grass.
Hello to hoping Spring gets here earlier than expected.

This week the lesson I learned is that no matter how far you come in personal growth, you'll always have a setback. I lost my cool the other day. I found myself yelling at my son like a maniac. I prolonged the screaming until he cried and then, I finally stopped. I'm not like this usually but the situation was dangerous and it may have been my fear coupled with anger that set me off. I felt failure as a parent but I'm not perfect. All I can do is try better next time. I heard these words long ago and I say them today, "I'm not where I need to be, but, thank God, I'm not where I used to be." I can take solace in that. Sorry, son.


Do you have any parental regret or am I the only mom-ogre out there?

7 comments:

Lefty said...

Oh Lilly...I cannot even imagine you screaming...let alone at your little man! I am a mom-ogre...I am sure that the alumnium siding, wood and brick of our house does not shelter the sounds that come out of our home. I have learned that I am human and that it is OK to be a mom-ogre. As long as the "screaming" is backed up with a lesson/conversation as to what the appropriate behaviors should have been, that is what matters. Kids need to see that we have feelings too, (obviously, as long as they are within reason!). Although it feels good to blow a little steam...I've learned that calmly and patiently talking things out with the kids work...but darn...it does NOT make ME feel better! I'm only human!

Suzan Wood-Young said...

Thanks for sharing your humanity with us Lily. I am saddened to admit that I was a yeller. I wasn't able to get a handle on it until my children were well into their teens. I was especially hard on my son and we had a heart to heart about it one day. It was a real healing conversation and brought us much closer. I still regret the past but the present is much better, as you quoted so eloquently.

I am LOVD said...

Suzan, Thanks so much for sharing in your comment above. When you're used to yelling it takes such an effort to calm down. But, taking deep breaths and realizing not to react is so helpful. I'm so happy you had that conversation with your son. By doing so, you probably changed the way he'll parent one day! Good for you both!

I am LOVD said...

Lefty, You are so right about the calmness factor. It instills in kids that we are the ones in charge here. If we go off the handle, kids are smart, and they start to think we're the ones that are nuts. Remaining calm helps us to keep up our parental image:-)

Kimberly said...

I've been trying to email you this morning but for whatever reason, my computer isn't letting me. You are the winner of the sinus bath bomb giveaway. Please contact me with your address. Congrats!

Live Laugh Rowe said...

Hi Lilly!

Thanks so much for participating in the blog hop!
Wishing you well on your bloggy endeavors.
You know I'm already following.

Kelly
www.livelaughrowe.com

p.s. your additions to the scone recipe sounded way good :)

Unknown said...

Found you through the Grow Your Blog hop! Showing you some bloggy love by following you via GFC.

Tera
http://www.eccentricleopard.com

 

Back to TOP

Boutique Blog Design