Friday, July 6, 2012

Goodbye Week. Hello Weekend. Lessons Learned: Take 54.

I give him Friday off! I'm not that mean:-)
Goodbye beginning "Mom School" and taking an hour each day with my son to practice typing, math facts, writing, and trumpet. Gotta keep sharp for 5th grade.


Goodbye baseball game played in the dark at the end of the week.

Goodbye celebrating Independence Day with fireworks (and a lightning show) enjoyed from the comfort and dryness and safety of my son's bedroom window.

Goodbye drinking lots and lots of Gatorade on the golf course.

Goodbye getting the electric bill in the mail and not wanting to open it - the air conditioning has been running non-stop.

Hello wide-open weekend with endless possibilities.
Hello scheduled boxing fight between heat and humidity - the storms are a-coming.
Hello board games, movies, and cuddles on the couch between popcorn bites.
Hello Super Hubby recovering from a tough week, the short weeks are the hardest.
Hello buying more hard drive space from Google as it seems I've exceeded my limit - ooooo!

My lesson learned this week is to stand by my man. I didn't support him earlier this week and, although he was right and had enough guts to do something about it, I should have been behind him. The scene: this past week's baseball game. The start time was 7:30 PM, so late, but plenty of time to get in a game. The play time's are supposed to be 1 hour, 30 minutes. 9:00 came and it was getting dark; like stormy dark. It was obvious another round of storms was going to move in through our area. At 9:00 the game was supposed to be over but the Umpire asked the kids if they wanted to play another inning. Isn't that like asking a monkey if he wants a banana?

The opposing team was up at bat first. With the storm approaching and the wind kicking up, it was hard to see the ball on our light-less field. Super Hubby was sitting next to me, complaining about the situation. "I can't believe the Umpire is having them play another inning in the dark. Somebody's going to get hurt. Was that thunder? Yes, I heard thunder. Well, if no one's going to be the voice of reason, here, I'm taking my kid out of the game before he gets hit by lightning." Super Hubby got up, told the coach he was taking out our son, and we left. Yes, it was getting dark fast, yes the storm was over our heads ready to wail on us, yes, there was thunder, no, the Umpire didn't call the game, even though it was extra-innings for fun. I heard other parents talking and wondering if they should do the same thing, but they just sat there discussing it instead of taking any action.

I'll admit, at first, I was embarrassed but that quickly turned into pride. By the time we got to our car, the Umpire did, in fact, call the game. Perhaps Super Hubby was the catalyst? My son's only disappointment: "I didn't get the end-of-the-game snack." Yeah, doesn't seem like we're pulling out a future A-Rod, so what's the big deal?

I'm proud of you, Super Hubby, for having the guts to make the wise choice and do something about it. You'd chalk it up to keeping our son safe, and I am on the same page, but I just sat there, didn't want to rock the boat. I just wondered if I should do something, but you actually did it! Bravo for taking action and being the voice of reason (and protecting our son).

Have a great and safe weekend, everybody!

3 comments:

Jenny said...

Good job being the voice of reason! It's never fun to rock the boat.

Shawn said...

That's a great lesson learned for the week. I learned to appreciate my hubby more as well, because he is pretty awesome. I'm following you from the Aloha Friday Blog Hop.

Have a great day and a great weekend.

Unknown said...

I can't believe they didn't call it. That is dangerous. So glad you have a smart hubby!
Carolyn
http://sillyhappysweet.blogspot.com

 

Back to TOP

Boutique Blog Design