Wednesday, June 27, 2012

What I Made Wednesday {Delicious Homemade Pita Chips}

Stacy's Pita Chips
Dear Stacy,
I do so love your pita chips. I love your hip commercials and print ads. What I'm not loving, lately, is the rising price of your product. I've been with you from your humble beginnings. I've dipped your chip in many a hummus, never to be let down, but I'm afraid the ol' mighty dollar forces us to part ways.

I'm a smart and resourceful girl, so I did the only thing I could do to protect my child's college fund, I made my own Pita Chips. These bleak economic times have caused many a heartache and our relationship has also fallen victim. I hope we can still be friends.
- Lilly


Lilly's Homemade Pita Chips

What You'll Need
My pita choice, available online


Small, Plain Pita Bread
Olive Oil
Salt
Pepper
2 cookie sheets or oven trays





What You'll Do
1. Cut the pita in half. 2. Cut the half, in half. 3. Cut the quarter in half. 4. These pita breads are double-layered so peel them apart. (I keep some doubled.)
Lightly coat, do not soak, the cut-up pita chips in olive oil. Add salt and pepper to taste. Mix it all up using your hands.
Divide the pita chips onto 2 trays. Make sure the pita chips don't overlap entirely.
Place in a pre-heated 350-degree F oven (177 C). After 8 minutes, toss the pita chips on the tray and bake for another 2-3 minutes, or until golden and crispy. (Dirty oven! Look away!)
What You'll Need to Know to Finish
Allow baked chips to cool on trays for 5-10 minutes.
These chips are absolutely delicious. I like that you are in control of the amount of salt that goes into the chip. My plan is to try a cinnamon and sugar version one day - YUM!




 And, if you're looking for a great dip to go along with this chip, try my White Bean Dip from this What I Made Wednesday, click here! So much tastier than hummus, in my opinion.

17 comments:

Simply Tasheena said...

This loooks so yummy! I would love for you to link up to my linky party via: http://ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com/2012/06/live-show-me-what-you-got-tuesdays.html

Mrs. Delightful
www.ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

Adorned From Above said...

I love pita chips, great recipe. I have a Blog Hop on Wednesdays, and I would love it if you would link this post. You can find it at
http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2012/06/natural-hair-gel-and-wednesdays-adorned.html
It is called Wednesdays Adorned From Above Blog Hop.
I hope to see you there. Have a great Day.
Debi Bolocofsky
Adorned From Above
www.adornedfromabove.com

Unknown said...

Oh yes, you do need to try the cinnamon ones. I want to hear how they are too. I love the Stacy's chips but they are so pricey! Thanks for the tutorial.
Carolyn http://sillyhappysweet.blogspot.com

Liz @ Quirky Vistas said...

Glad to hear homemade is better. I'm wondering if you figured out the cost difference. The sure look good and cinnamon and sugar would be my first choice. Very nice.
Liz

I am LOVD said...

Liz, such a great question!!!! I figured the cost difference to be half what the Stacy's Pita Chips would cost me for the same amount (but I didn't cost out labor). Totally worth it!!!

Carole said...

this is great. Found you via the live laugh linky. I have linked in a beef dish. Have a super day.

Becky McNeer said...

i used to make these all of the time whenever i had dip around. thanks for the reminder!!! yum! Please link up to Foodie Friday

Becky McNeer said...

You made it! Thanks for linking these crispy pita chips to Foodie Friday!

Erin @ Chronic Christian Crafter said...

I love your "Dear Stacy" letter...cute intro :)...what a great way to cut costs...AND tastes better...WIN/WIN...can't beat that! Thanks for linking up and sharing with us @ Toot Your Horn Tuesday...will have to try this out myself!

Erin

Unknown said...

Yum! I am going to have to try these! Super easy too. I'd love it if you'd link this up to Titus 2 Tuesday on Cornerstone Confessions. Hope to see you there!

Kathy

Christine said...

DELICIOUS!!! Looks like a perfect recipe for my daughter's birthday party!

Thanks so much for sharing this at The DIY Dreamer.. From Dream To Reality! Don't forget to swing by this evening.. I can't wait to see what you link up! :)

KC Coake said...

We love pita chips! Don't buy them very often because they are so pricey. I am pinning this so I can make these in the future. Thanks!

Unknown said...

I love pita chips! These look so good! I am loving your blog! Its so cute! Would love for you to visit mine!

riversrecipereview.blogspot.com

ShirleyRunner said...

These look delicious, I may have to try and add some seasoning to mine next time I make them. Thanks for stopping by at Motivated Mommy of Two and sharing the link

cathy@my1929charmer said...

I love pita chips, and with as much has I eat they can get pretty expensive. Thanks for sharing with us how to make our own, I'll give it a try. Also thanks for sharing your creative inspiration with Sunday's Best!

Six Sisters said...

We would love to have you link up to our "Strut Your Stuff Saturday" and share this delicious recipe. We hope to see you there. -The Sisters
sixsistersstuff.com

Enid said...

Stacy's is actually owned by Pepsi Cola now. I wonder how interested they'd be in your letter! ;-)

Love the recipe, btw. I tried my own today, but I plan to follow yours next time.

Thanks,

Enid

 

Back to TOP

Boutique Blog Design