Thursday, October 11, 2012

No Alarm Clocks Allowed

Shhh! It's 7:00 AM and it's time for my son to get up and get ready for school. I creep into his bedroom, cocoon under the covers to snuggle close to him, then kiss and hug him until he awakes from his slumber. That's how I like to wake up my child and I'll keep doing it as long as he'll let me. He's 10 years old and lately there have been many mornings of resistance against this wake-up ritual. "Maauuum, stawwwp ittt", he'll protest on some mornings. Then, other mornings, he'll want more hugs.

I've heard my girlfriends talk about how their kids get up for school in the morning with an alarm clock and I begin making comparisons right away. Uh, no, will my child not be able to awake to a jarring buzzing when he's older? Is he committed to a life of tardiness? Am I being an irresponsible mother by denying him this "obviously" all-important lesson of commitment, independence and responsibility? Because, as we all know, there's no other way to teach this but with an alarm clock. But then I stop. I only have the one child, and this time of having him want my hugs is fleeting, so until my son says "no more", alarm clocks will not be allowed!

3 comments:

Shannon Q. said...

Hugs, kisses and cuddles are the way that I wake my little guy up also. I think if it works for you and your family, what could be better. I also plan to continue to what our family calls "love ambush" my son in the mornings when he must wake up.

Anonymous said...

Love this, Lilly. We have clocks in every room of the house (I'm a tad bit nutty for lamps and clocks) but my room is the only one with an alarm. I would like my family to know that I'd also prefer smooches to the shrills of an alarm - but since I'm the first one up it can't be avoided. :)

Anonymous said...

I got this site from my buddy who told me concerning this site and now
this time I am browsing this website and reading very informative
content at this time.
My website weightloss Centers

 

Back to TOP

Boutique Blog Design