Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Milemarker 40: An Update on a Milestone


Do you remember this What I Made Wednesday? Click here to catch up. This unassuming, little project has been viewed over 4,000 times by you lovely LOVD readers! I had no idea it would get so much attention. It was just a wish list I gathered together to start my 40th-year off right. I wanted to remember what I wanted for myself during this 4th decade of my life. I didn't want an entire year to pass, busy with the day-to-day, and not experience what I felt was important for me this year.

So, it's been a little over 6 months since my birthday; half of the year has passed by and I wanted to take stock as to how I've been doing. I figure if I need to make adjustments, I still have the other half of the year to get my act together. And, considering the odd popularity of this project, I can only assume many of you did the same exercise for your own milestone birthday. I hope you take time to evaluate your own progress, too. Let's do it together.

Add eyeliner and mascara to make-up arsenal - check, but only on special occasions. I do use the clear mascara daily, though.

More family time - check, but we've always spent a lot of time together. What I did change is how often I see my grandmother. I've seen her much more these last 6-months than before in the same amount of time.

Hike - such an easy one to do since we love it so much and we've found many new parks, too!

Workout - umm, no comment (and don't judge me, please).

Attend a blog conference - well, I should have attended the BlogHer conference in NYC; especially because I was voted their Voices of the Year honoree for the Identity category, but, I just didn't feel the expense was worthwhile.

To God be all the glory - I have never realized this more than these last 6-months.

LOVD Etsy shop - I know, I know, promises, promises. I'm trying, know that. I'm just trying to find the time, really! When it opens, you'll be the first to know if you keep coming back here.

Date Nights - In these last 6-months, I can remember only 1 night, and I'm pretty sure it was a wedding. Does that count?

Visit with more friends - I've really stepped up my game here and I'm pretty happy about it. I've been making time for more luncheons with girlfriends and I always walk away happy.

Beauty regime - I wish I could adopt one but beyond face wash and moisturizer, I frankly don't have time for much more; this really was wishful thinking as I'm too low-maintenance.

Be present - life has been hectic and busy and I can't say I do this 100% of the time. I can tell you that, sadly, it takes effort for me to do this consciously. There's always something to do, an e-mail to type, etc., that I have to just set it all aside on purpose and enjoy the moment.

Fresh flowers every week - THANK YOU SUPER HUBBY! If it wasn't for this wonderful, thoughtful man, a bud would not be found in the house! Super Hubby has taken it upon himself to bring me fresh flowers every week since my birthday and I think that's pretty awesome!

Photography class - um, the year is still young?

Try new dining experiences - does trying the new CBO sandwich at McDonald's count?

Buy 1 piece of clothing from Chico's, Coldwater Creek, Talbot's, and Anthroplogie - I have discovered how frugal I am when it comes to buying clothing for myself. It's not that I can't afford the clothing at any of these establishments; it's that I can't get over the ridiculous price-gouging that occurs at these stores and I refuse to play the consumer-fool! So, I'm still trying to bring myself to do it, but money has yet to be left behind. I'll keep you posted.

Write a book or two - does having BlogHer do it for me count? OK, I'm not wimping out on this one, just when I get a breather.

Smile more - I sure hope I am; at least, I feel like I should be because my blessings have sure runneth over.

Eat better - I have good weeks and bad weeks but I'm working on it. It's true, you know: something happens when you turn 40 that makes those cupcakes stick to the hips like never before (oh, the sadness of the reality).

Drink Water - if I drank the customary 8-glasses of water-a-day, I'd probably drown. Can we be happy with 1 bottle of water per day?

Read the entire Bible - I don't feel I've been led to rush Its teachings, but I'm tested everyday!

That's my progress and it doesn't seem like I'll get any farther along today since school is closed due to inclement weather conditions from Hurricane Sandy. Is it still called a "snow day" if there isn't any snow? What will the kiddo and I do today? The possibilities are endless!

1 comment:

Shannon Q. said...

What a clever idea! I love this!

 

Back to TOP

Boutique Blog Design