Friday, November 2, 2012

Goodbye Week. Hello Weekend. Lessons Learned: Take 69.

Goodbye and good riddance, Hurricane Sandy.
Goodbye snow day "wind day" off from school.
Goodbye extra time to carve our spooky jack-o-lantern.
Goodbye yummy, delicious, salty, crunchy roasted pumpkin seeds.
Goodbye CMA Awards: I'm a closet country-music fan (Super Hubby and Super Kid claim not to know me when I'm bustin' a move to Keith Urban).

Hello learning a new school game called Dictionary and making time to play it together.
Hello girls' luncheon that is finally happening after too many delays and reschedulings.
Hello non-working weekend for me, billing weekend for Super Hubby - boo hoo!
Hello Trick-or-Treating, after being postponed due to weather.
Hello welcoming a new month, November, when we are never more reminded of gratitude through grace.

Not my kid, not in my house. Stand up and shout, baby!
I saw this canvas at Marshall's today and I thought, "Who would ever buy this?" This is absolutely the opposite of how we are raising our son. My lesson learned, however, is for our son to continue to voice his opinions, express his thoughts, and debate his side, and we, as his parents, are responsible for creating an environment where he feels safe and comfortable doing just that. Realizing this, I've made the following changes in the way I listen to my son's spoken thoughts and I hope it encourages him to speak his mind, fight for what he believes, and that he does so with mutual respect for those that may not feel or think the same.

1. I will give you my undivided attention when you are speaking.
2. I will look you in the eyes when you speak to me.
3. I will listen intently and let you speak fully, not interrupting your thoughts.
4. I will ask you questions and we'll have a conversation, together.
5. I will encourage you to find your true voice and share it with the world.
6. Respect is as respect does - we'll have to remind each other of it sometimes.
7. I want you to know how important you are, but remain humble in that knowing. 
8. I will attempt to be the light and water that helps to grow your seed of confidence.
9. Win or lose, I'm all in, right behind you, cheering you on. 
10. I may not always agree with you, but I will always love you; on that you can be sure.

Listen to your children for they have got a lot to say!

5 comments:

Lefty said...

I am printing your new changes to hang next to a certain poem "to my grown up son"....what great rules to live by. How easy it is to continue prepping dinner or folding laundry while your child tries to tell you something! YET, we expect them to stop playing a game or stop reading a book when we want THEIR attention! VERY thought provoking Lilly. This hit home for me. Thank you once again!

I am LOVD said...

Lefty, your words are such a great follow-up. Well said, my friend!

Suzan Wood-Young said...

That's quite surprising...likely created by someone from my parent's generation. That's they way I was raised. Children should be seen and not heard and fear their elders. Love your top 10!

I am LOVD said...

Suzan, good point! It's the way I was raised, too! It must be a generational thing. Still begs the question, who would buy it?

Suzan Wood-Young said...

Who indeed?

 

Back to TOP

Boutique Blog Design