Wednesday, September 28, 2011

What I Made Wednesday {Simple Homemade Applesauce}


Apples are synonymous with the Fall season. We head for the hills to our apple farms and get all excited about nature's bounty set before us in bushels. And, without thinking, we start grabbing all sorts of different kinds of apples to take home. When we get home our best laid intentions come to a screeching halt when we look at our pile and think, "Now what the McIntosh am I going to do with all these apples?" The apple picking day on the farm was a cherished memory but now it's time to wake ourselves from those blissful moments ingrained in our brains, wipe off the apple fritter glaze from our lips, and get to work.

Simple Homemade Applesauce
inspired by FOOD Everyday October 2005 




What You'll Need
3 pounds apples (try Gala, Empire, or McIntosh)
1 cinnamon stick
4 tablespoons sugar
3/4 cup water
 What You'll Do
Peel apples.
Core or slice apples.
Place all ingredients into saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring twice.

What You'll Need to Know to Finish
When apples are tender, remove from heat, discard cinnamon stick, and add 2 teaspoons of fresh lemon juice. Store in airtight container in fridge when cool.
Be sure to reserve 2 cups of applesauce (if you think you can) for next week's W.I.M.Wednesday: Applesauce Cake!

My favorite type of apple is called honey crisp. What is the name of your favorite type of apple?

2 comments:

Jaime Lyn at Crafty Scrappy Happy said...

ohhhhh YUM I can hardly wait for next weeks post but shoot that means I have to make the apple sauce first.... I was hoping to just be able to use store bought :o)
Jaime

I am LOVD said...

Thanks for reminding, I was going to get to that. Rarely, other than the beginning of Autumn, do I have bushels of fresh apples to make the homemade applesauce. Sooo, I do buy the store bought - shhh! But make sure you buy the chunky kind - I buy Mott's Natural Chunky Applesauce when I don't use the homemade. Thanks for bringing that up!!

 

Back to TOP

Boutique Blog Design