Friday, March 16, 2012

Goodbye Week. Hello Weekend. Lessons Learned: Take 38.

Goodbye thunderstorms rumbling through the night.
Goodbye shorts and short-sleeved shirts in the middle of winter in Ohio.
Goodbye sweet friend lunch-date at yummy Peppermint Thai.
Goodbye knowing where my talents stop and when to ask others to let theirs shine.
Goodbye precious words from you supporting and encouraging my efforts in opening my Etsy shop.

Hello finally making that maple syrup run and owning some more of that liquid gold.
Hello sunshine and outdoor fun, playing in the 70 degree sun.
Hello 17-day spring break that is massively well-deserved for my hardworking kid.
Hello crafts and cuddles and reading and cuddles and playing and cuddles and...
Hello winding down the tax preparations and almost being free for another year.

This week for my lesson learned, I was reminded that simple is best and tradition is better. My son decided on his birthday party theme this year and my husband and I got a little overzealous, shall we say, in the prospects of party planning. We put our hearts and souls into each birthday party we host and this year, celebrating a decade, is to be no exception. But this year, we've increased the number of kids in attendance and were worried our home just wasn't large enough to accommodate everyone comfortably. We found a venue that would be absolutely perfect. When we mentioned this idea to our son he gently stated the following: "I've been having my birthday party at my house for the last 9 years. Why would I want to have it some place else this year and break with tradition? I'm most comfortable at home and that's where I'd like to have the party, sorry." Well, thanks son, for reminding us whose birthday party we're planning; certainly not our own. We got caught up in the possibilities of the venue and lost perspective of the day's significance. Thanks for the reminder.


Have a Happy St. Patrick's Day and a beautiful weekend!

5 comments:

Betty Sneeringer said...

Good things, as always!

Betty

Suzan Wood-Young said...

Wow, 17 days! Sounds like you had a great week! And what a lovely young man you two are raising. You've inspired me to call my son who is also a lovely young man and lives much to far away. :)

Chrissy said...

I am SOOOO jealous of your long spring break!! I hope you guys have lots of fun!

momto8 said...

ha!! my boys told me the same EXACT thing!!! I wanted a theme party, like we had for the girls, the boys said no way...have it at our house...just give us room and a ball. what we can learn from our kids!!!

KimMalk said...

Don't you love it when your child reminds (and savors) your traditions?

 

Back to TOP

Boutique Blog Design